Saturday, June 10, 2023

10 JUN 2023

a cozy little tearoom in the heart of Bruges

On a spur-of-the moment decision, hubs and I took the train to Bruges! The trip actually started at a snail pace despite our efforts to be early--some railroad works kept our train from leaving on time, argh. And once in Ghent, we also encountered some problems with a connecting ride, but thank goodness there weren't any further delays.

Arrived in Bruges nearly around 11:30 but I wasn't hungry yet. We took a leisurely walk towards the center. At the beguinage I lost hubs though. After a few texts we decided to just meet at the market square at 12:25. I took my sweet time walking around and taking pictures. I even was able to buy some makeup (for my brows!) at Yves Rocher. And then I made it right on the dot to meet hubs, yay.

We both walked towards the Chinese restaurant De Lange Muur, where hubs booked a table for us. What a nice place, beautiful ceiling, plenty of space, friendly staff too. I ordered chicken with orange sauce, hubs had "spicy" chicken with veg. I preferred his plate, although mine wasn't bad, just less sweet. Will want to go back, for sure.

A HOT day that it was! walking under the scorching sun isn't my idea of a pleasant stroll. I was always thirsty and always on the lookout for shade. But at some point a fanfare started playing and I found myself following them where they went! Much to hubs' dismay because he wanted to go some place else and not listen very long to the fanfare's music. Too bad.

After some more walking and almost dying of thirst, we finally found ourselves at this nice-looking tearoom Salé & Sucré, which wasn't at all crowded. The place was close to the market square and the staff was friendly. I had bottled water (in one go!) and a strawberry milkshake.

And then we checked out Salvador Dali's art exhibit at the market square. Nothing spectacular but it gave you an idea of how Dali got all his ideas for his art. I bought three fridge magnets, my favorite of which was of a girl staring out a window.

Again, we were thirsty and walked around in search of a nice spot to have drinks. We couldn't seem to decide where to go! And once when we thought we found a nice spot (Café Belfort), it turned out to be a no-go:  we couldn't sit indoors and the terrace was full of smokers. So we just went back to our tried-and-tested Salé & Sucré! And of course the staff was delighted to see us back, the lady even had a chat with us (about the disadvantages of living in a world heritage site--you can't have double-glass windows, not change your front doors, and not have solar panels installed, and also about the problem of rodents, etc.).

I quickly bought a tiny bag of sweets (to bring to MIL the next day) before we headed to our reserved table at the Italian restaurant Osteria 45. Our first impression wasn't a good one though--the staff made us wait at the door, nobody welcomed us, so we just claimed our own table but it seemed fine by them! Hubs ordered pizza Diavola and I had Prosciutto e funghi. Hubs didn't enjoy his pizza very much--the crust was too salty and they put onions. My pizza was alright, only the problem was I wasn't very hungry, I managed to eat only half of my pizza. Good thing I could bring our leftovers home, but I had to drag this pizza box upright during our entire trip back home!

The trip was pretty uneventful though, thank goodness. Except for my smartphone running out of juice while still at the Italian restaurant. I had to take photos with hubs' smartphone instead.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

11 JUN 2023

Today is Father's Day in Belgium. Bart bought a bouquet to bring to MIL. Visited MIL for bites and a chat. We ate our leftover pizzas fr...